If you have received a Fixed Penalty Notice, and you are unsure of the steps you need to take, or you wish to challenge it in court proceedings, do contact our traffic solicitors who can advise you on the steps you may take.
Our Telephone Number is 0208 577 5491
Fixed Penalty Notices (FPN) can be issued for both endorseable and non-endorseable offences. Once you have been issued with a FPN there are two ways of dealing with it. You can accept that you have committed the offence, as alleged, pay the fine, accept the points and forget about it. If you reject the police’s offer of the FPN you will be summonsed to appear in court and argue your defences.
If it is issued for an Endorseable traffic offence, the police officer will require your licence to be handed over if you have it on your person or in any case to hand it over to a police station within 7 days, when it will be sent to the DVLA for endorsing. You will also be required to pay the fine.
In Non-Endorseable offences such as minor traffic offences, there will be no penalty points and a small fine. You can pay the fine within the required time period and no further action will be taken under the FPN.
There is no formal appeal against a Fixed Penalty Notice, but if you do not agree that you are guilty of the offence you can request a Court hearing. However, it is worth noting that if the case is tried at Court and you are still found guilty of the offence you will receive much higher and severe penalties.
£50.00 – Non-endorseable Fixed Penalty Notices
These are issued in many varied circumstances for offences which are considered minor.
• Failing to give way
• Not displaying tax disc
• Stopping vehicle on motorwary hard shoulder)
• Vehicle Lighting offences
• Sounding horn at night, excessive noise
£ 100.00 – Non - Endorseable Fixed Penalty Notices
• Failure to wear a seat belt whilst driving
• Using a motor vehicle without an MOT
£100.00 - Endorseable Fixed Penalty Notice
• Mobile phone use whilst driving
• Motorway offences (e.g. reversing, driving on hard shoulder/central reservation)
• Neglecting traffic directions (e.g. driving when red traffic light is showing )
• Neglecting Pedestrian Rights (e.g. stopping inside zebra/pelican/puffin crossing)
£300.00 – Endorseable Fixed Penalty Notice
• Driving without third party insurance
Please refer to the following for further guidance on Penalty Points and endorsements