Requirements to apply for leave to remain in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person who is present and settled here, if you are already in the UK in a different immigration category.

(A partner includes husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner) .
The requirements for this category is based on the Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules.
In order to get leave in this category the requirements are that:  
i.    both parties are  aged 18 or over at the date of application;
ii.    parties to the marriage or the partnership are not related  in a way that means you could not marry in UK law;
iii.    parties  have  met 
iv.    you have a genuine and subsisting  relationship with your partner 
v.    if you are married or are in a civil partnership it is valid in UK law;
vi.    you meet the suitability requirements;
vii.    your  previous relationship has permanently broken down 
viii.    both parties  intend to live together permanently in the UK;
ix.    you satisfy the financial requirement;
x.    you satisfy the accommodation requirement – there will be sufficient accommodation for you without relying on public funds  
xi.    you satisfy the English language requirement; and
xii.    if you are in the UK and want to extend your leave or apply for settlement in the UK you will need to meet the suitability requirement.

There is a 5 year partner route as well as a 10 year partner route for settlement depending on the applicant’s particular circumstances.  

As rules relating to this category are quite complex it is in your own interest to obtain expert advice.  

Call our immigration solicitors now on 0208 577 5491 to book an initial consultation when we can take your detailed instructions and advice you on the relevant law and procedure.