Visa Applications after Marriage

Our immigration solicitors at Leslie & Co. Solicitors can advise you and assist you with applications for Leave to Remain after marriage / civil partnership.   

You will need to give notice to marry or register your civil partnership at a 'designated office'.  You will have to produce evidence of your names, addresses, ages, and nationalities.   You will need to show evidence that you are free to marry or register a civil partnership, i.e.: you are divorced or your partnership has been dissolved.   Visitors to the UK cannot switch into this category.    Unless you are in the UK with a fiancé (e) visa (or with a proposed civil partner visa) you need to have leave not less than six months.

After giving notice you must wait for 15 days in England and Wales, before getting married or registering.   If you meet the requirements you may be given leave to remain for 30 months (2 ½ years).  If you continue to meet the requirements you may be given a further period of 30 months (2 ½ years).   After 5 years of residence, you can apply for settlement.   

There are a number of complex rules relating to this category including the requirement to have sufficient funds for maintenance, etc.  It is in your interest to obtain proper legal advice in good time (in order to get ready with required documents and information), prior to making an application.    Please contact our experienced immigration lawyers on 0208 577 5491 to find out.